July 23, 2012

The View From Here

The view from Signal Hill in north Dunedin.  James and I spent about 1 hour walking up here on a crisp winter day.

I just spent the last three weeks completing my field research away from Dunedin.  It was, as fieldwork always is, totally exhausting.  It was also productive and successful (hooray!) and I can now move on with my research, analysis, writing and more in pursuit of that seemingly elusive PhD dissertation.  I have a long road ahead still, but I'm thrilled the chapter of away-from-home fieldwork is complete. 

Rather than talk about those weeks away, tonight I felt like just sharing a few photos of old Dunedin town, because... I'm so glad to be back.  It really is beginning to feel a bit more like home here.  Traveling for travel's sake is fun; traveling for work or research is overrated.  It's hard to eat well and evenings, when the work is done, are boring.  Back in Dunedin, I must say the weather's been wonderful this winter, our house is warm, our kitchen in stocked with yummy things to cook, the neighbor's cat is great company, and my husband was all smiles picking me up at the airport.

The view looking across the harbour and over to the Otago Peninsula.

Dunedin is a quirky little place, with its pros and cons like anywhere. I spend a lot of time immersed in musings about those pros and cons - both are significant for a migrant far from home.

But today, I think I'll just enjoy the view. 


Looking down and over town.  Those tall buildings in the foreground are the hospital and university.

Carry a thermos of hot chocolate and a packet of 'biscuits' and it's just that much better.

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures are breathtaking, and yet I still feel like I'm missing just how beautiful it is without seeing it in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come check it out! The South Island is well worth it as a holiday destination and it's just right there! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so thankful to have found your blog because I'm emigrating to New Zealand in a few short months to teach Biology and Chemistry. I'm so excited and your blog has helped me to understand a bit more what it is like to be a USA born pseudo kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so sorry for the very late reply! somehow i missed your comment before now. in any case, blogs are indeed a great way to find out about the pros and cons of any place from a very personal perspective. So do a search for more, there are many of us Americans in NZ. Good luck with your move!

      Delete
  3. Hello your blog is sharing great information.I read your blog. Thanks for share this blog, Fl van lines providing best Moving company

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog while researching for my own impending move to Dunedin. . Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Would love to chat with you more about it for advice and tips if you have time. Mahalo.

    ReplyDelete