May 11, 2011

Wherever You Go, There You Are


My mom once gave me a small card that said, "Wherever you go, there you are."  I don't remember who said it originally but what a great quote!  A lot of my posts have been about missing the places I've lived or come from most recently (Juneau, Alaska) as I now live here in New Zealand.  I blog about my reality of being a migrant, and well, missing my 'home' of Alaska and America and all that those places entail is a huge part of my existence in New Zealand. Like it or not, it just is.  And I think that's ok - it doesn't overshadow the fact that I'm also living a full life here, pouring myself into it, growing everyday.  My two realities exist side by side - and while that inherently creates a lot of bittersweetness, I wouldn't really have it any other way. I'm a little bit divided in two and I'm not willing to give up either half. So there you go.






Our Easter tramping (hiking) trip was a bit different though, in a refreshing sort of way.  I walked the Greenstone and Routeburn tracks with my husband and two friends over five days and four nights.  It was spectacular.  There were still many comments comparing different parts of the hike to different areas around Juneau.  But mostly, I enjoyed this area of NZ for what it was itself - I think we all did. I didn't feel torn, I felt peaceful and grateful.  The Routeburn portion of the track in particular was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in New Zealand and perhaps my new favorite area. I can't wait to go back.






 

We had it all - rain, wind, frost, sun and some warmth too.  All those elements make you know you're outside IN the landscape, not just observing it.  I felt cold, hot, windblown, sore, wet, tired, hungry, euphoric, content.  How lovely to be so immersed in and encompassed by a place.  There I went and there I was, 100%. 


1 comment:

  1. You are busy adding pieces to your patchwork quilt of life!
    :-)
    Laureen

    ReplyDelete